The largest parish church in England, and widely regarded to be one of the most beautiful Gothic buildings in Europe. The original church was founded in the 7th century by St John of Beverley and during the Middle Ages became an important place of pilgrim
Beverley Minster was constructed between 1220 and 1425 and contains elements of three architectural styles: Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular. These styles have been carefully harmonised, including the wonderful vaulting that runs from one end of the church to the other.
The beautiful soaring towers of the west front of Beverley Minster were added in 1450. The finest pair of towers in England, they are thought to have inspired Nicholas Hawksmore when he designed the two west towers of Westminster Abbey in 1745.
Originally the Minster had an octagonal Chapter House but this was demolished when it became a parish church in 1550. The superb 13th century double staircase with Purbeck columns that once led to the Chapter House can still be seen in the nave.
When the cult of St John of Beverley was abolished by Henry VIII at the Dissolution of the Monastries the saint's splendid tomb was robbed and destroyed. However, his bones were rediscovered and re-interred in the nave in 1664. A plaque now marks St John's final resting place.
Treasures of Beverley Minster include the Percy Canopy, recognised as a masterpiece of English Decorated stone carving, outstanding medieval carvings and 68 misericords dating from 1520. Today the Minster remains a place of pilgrimage.