The castle was built in 1373 when Sir John Delamere became tenant-chief of this royal property and obtained a licence to crenellate from Edward III.
As the church had already been built in the best position he choose a low-lying site to build his castle.
Sir John had served in the French wars and was influenced by the French style. As a result he built a tall, rectangular castle with a drum tower at each corner and roofed like a French chateau. The site was very small and the towers almost touched.
The ashlar walls were not thick enough to withstand canon fire and the loops were only suitable for bows or crossbows.
Although it had one of the deepest moats in England and machicolations there was no portcullis.
During the Civil War in its only serious duty as a castle it failed miserably. In 1645 the Parliamentarians placed their cannon on the rising ground overlooking the castle and almost at once breached the north wall above its entrance.
In 1910 this wall collapsed into the moat blocking it up.
The moat was later cleared and is fed today by the small stream that runs through the attractive village.