Sandbach (pronounced Sandbatch) gets its name from the Anglo-Saxon 'Sandbćce' meaning 'sandy valley-stream'. The settlement, mentioned in the Domesday Book, has held a market since the 16th century.
In its cobbled market square stand two historic Saxon crosses. The origin of these crosses is not certain but it is thought they were created in the 9th century to mark the advent of Christianity in this kingdom of Mercia in 653 AD.
In 1651, during the English Civil War, a skimish took place at Sandbach, when nearly 1,000 Scottish troops on horseback retreating from the Battle of Worcester were attacked by local people.
The Church of St Mary, dating from 1661, was restored in 1847 - 1849 under the direction of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Opposite the church stands the Old Hall Hotel, a fine timber-framed building dating from the 17th century.
At the turn of the 20th century Sandbach became famous for the production of heavy goods vehicles. E.R.F and Foden were successful manufaturers but both have since located elsewhere. The Foden Richardson Brass Band, originally created for the employees of Foden, is world-famous.
Sandbach has excellent transport links, being close to Junction 17 on the M6, and having its own railway station on the Crewe to Manchester mainline. The Trent and Mersey Canal also passes through the town, bringing many visitors in the summer.
In recent years Sandbach, surrounded by pleasant dairy farmland, has developed as a dormitory town for nearby Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Stoke-on-Trent. The town is the administrative centre of the Borough of Congleton.
Towns Near Sandbach To Visit - straight line distance:Alsager (4.13 miles) Crewe (4.64 miles) Middlewich (4.70 miles) Congleton (6.43 miles)