Beverley is the county town of the East Riding of Yorkshire, an ancient market town. The name Beverley means 'stream frequented by beavers'.
Founded in the 7th century by St John of Beverley, the town was a prominent Saxon religious centre in Saxon times. Beverley Minster, the collegiate church of the monastry, founded in around 700 AD by St John, developed as the centre of pilgramage.
In medieval times pilgrims flocked here after hearing of miracles attributed to the town's founder (who was canonized in 1037).
Beverley was also an important wool trading centre and by 1377 was one of the 12 largest towns in England, and one of the richest. Following the Dissolution of the monastries by Henry VIII the town lost most of it's status.
Beverley Minster was not chosen to be a cathedral, and since 1550 the magnificent Gothic building has been the largest parish church in England.
In the 18th century Beverley developed as the prime market town, and has some fine Georgian architecture.
Beverley continues to attract many tourists, who come to admire its wonderful religious buildings and the town's medieval streets which now have antique shops and craft arcades.
The historic marketplace, with its distinctive Market Cross, still hosts markets on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Beverley Racecourse is very popular, and the town is also noted for its annual music festivals.
Beverley Racecourse Beverley Racecourse, one mile from the town centre, is one of the key attractions of the East Riding of Yorkshire
Beverley Minster The largest parish church in England, and widely regarded to be one of the most beautiful Gothic buildings in Europe. The original church was founded in the 7th century by St John of Beverley and during the Middle Ages became an important place of pilgrim
Beverley Friary Restored extensively in the 1980s,Beverley Friary is the last remaining example of a Dominican Friary in the region and is now a YHA Youth Hostel.
Towns Near Beverley To Visit - straight line distance:Cottingham (4.51 miles) Hull (7.80 miles) Market Weighton (9.87 miles) Driffield (11.06 miles)