The Trelissick estate stands at the head of the estuary of the River Fal.
Here a great stretch of deep water runs far inland with smaller creeks and inlets branching off on either side.
Wooded slopes lead down to the water with oaks and beeches overhanging the mudflats of the tidal creeks.
The King Harry Ferry below Trelissick is the only connection across the water to the Roseland peninsular on the other side of the estuary.
In about 1750 a modest two-storey villa was built at Trelissick on the foundations of an earlier building.
This house was remodelled in 1825 by Peter Frederick Robinson who added the columned portico which rises to the height of the south front. Robinson's patron was Thomas Daniell whose father had bought the estate in 1800 with the fortune he inherited from tin-mining interests.
Thomas Daniell planted much of the woodland along the shores of the estuary and the carriage drives he laid out in the park are now shady woodland walks. Between 1844 and 1913 the estate was owned by the Gilbert family who made great improvements to the grounds. They planted ornamental woodlands and some of the huge holm oaks and conifers in the garden.
The wonderful garden seen today was largely created by Mr and Mrs Ronald Copeland after Mrs Copeland inherited Trelissick in 1937.
From the house (not open to the public) and drive there are splendid views across a great sweep of grass to the Carrick Roads. On clear days Pendennis Castle can be seen on a promontory in the far distance.
The garden, however, with its exotic and delicate plants needs protection from the prevailing wind rather than extensive views. Mrs Copeland planted many species that flourish in the mid Cornish air, including the great range of rhododendrons and azaleas that are such a feature of the garden.
There are also hydrangeas, camellias, flowering cherries, magnolias, eucalyptus, maples and exotic plants such as the ginkgo and many species of palm.
Trelissick has an intimate feel with conifers, beeches and other trees sheltering and enclosing the valley. There are many changes of level and perspective and the winding paths, shaded by great holm oaks and beeches and flanked by high hedges, open unexpectedly into areas of grass.
It is these spacious lawns that give Trelissick its character. The sloping main lawn is shaded by a fine Japanese cedar and at the sides are borders devoted to summer-flowering shrubs and plants. The walks lead to a summer house and a Saxon cross and then back to a raised drive. From here there is a glimpse of the dell at the heart of the garden with its tree ferns, large-leaved rhododendrons, banana tree and other exotic plants.
A narrow path and rustic bridge lead over the Ferry Road, a green canyon through the centre of the garden, to the Carcadden area. This wide slope is a newer part of the garden. The descending lawns are planted informally with great cedars and cypresses and there are many choice shrubs including camellias, magnolias, flowering cherries and rhododendrons.There is also a huge collection of hydrangeas, a specialty of Trelissick.
The Trelissick is now in the care of the National Trust.
The property includes an extensive park and there are woodland walks beside the river. There is also an Art and Craft gallery.