This impressive timber-framed house is surrounded by a wonderful Stuart garden (house and garden open by appointment only).
The house contains a 17th century drawing room with a superb plaster ceiling and many good portraits including work by Kneller, Lely and Vereist.
The garden was created in around 1680.
The plants for the garden were chosen by an early lady gardener, Jane Frewen.
Today Brickwall House is owned by the Frewen Educational Trust and as far as possible the same varieties of plants are found in the garden. There are pinks, columbines and bergamots together with lavender beds, mulberries and clipped yews.
Other features include splendid herbaceous borders, herb displays and a pleached beech walk. A highlight of the garden is the chess garden which has chessmen created from green and yellow yew.