Bath, set in the rolling green hills of the Avon valley, was transformed into England's first spa town by the Romans. In the 18th century it regained its popularity.
At this time two architects, John Wood the Elder and John Wood the Younger, were responsible for creating Bath's fine Georgian buildings. The Royal Crescent is a magnificent example of Palladian architecture and was designed by John Wood the Younger.
Work began on the Crescent in 1767 and it was completed in 1774.
No. 1 was the first of this graceful arc of 30 houses to be built.
The Royal Crescent is considered to be the most majestic street in Britain and the masterpiece of John Wood the Younger.
In 1968 No. 1 Royal Crescent was given to the Bath Preservation Trust.
Both the exterior and the interior of the house have been accurately restored and the house is now a museum.
It has been furnished as a grand town-house of the late 18th century and contains authentic furniture, carpets and paintings. The interior has been designed to give visitors a glimpse of what life was like for the 18th century aristocrats, such as the Duke of York, who lived here.
The basement houses the kitchen, which contains a dog-powered spit. The ground floor has a study and dining-room and on the first floor is the drawing room and a lady's bedroom.
The second floor landing has a series of maps of Bath. West of the Royal Crescent is the Royal Victoria Park established in 1830 and Bath's largest open space.