Whitmore Hall is a fine Carolean manor house set in landscaped gardens and surrounded by a beautiful park.
The manor of Whitmore has always passed by descent, never by sale, and the present owners, the Cavenagh-Mainwaring family, are direct descendants of the original Norman owners.
In 1546 the heiress of the manor of Whitmore, Alice de Boghay, married Edward Mainwaring of Peover in Cheshire. It was their great-grandson, another Edward, who rebuilt the original timber-framed building.
The new red-brick house was designed in the artisan Mannerist style of the age. Work on the house was completed in 1676, although parts of the building date back to a much earlier period. In 1891 the heiress Ellen Jane Mainwaring married Wentworth Cavenagh.
Between 1863 and 1928 Whitmore Hall was let to the Hollins and Twyford families who remodelled the main interiors. At this time much of the Cavenagh-Mainwaring family's furniture was dispersed.
The main front faces south and dates mostly from the 1670s. The house is nine bays wide under a hipped roof, with large symmetrically placed chimneystacks. An ornate porch was added in the 19th century.
The other facades have a number of 19th century additions and are asymmetrical. None of the interiors date from the 1670s as the house was redecorated in fairly simple Edwardian taste at the beginning of the 20th century.
The Hall has been refurbished and is in fine condition. There are some good pieces of English furniture and family portraits dating in a continuous line from 1624 to the present day.
The rooms are light and beautifully proportioned. At the back of the house is the curving staircase, now quite plain. On the landing are the oldest family portraits dating from the 16th and 17th centuries. On the right is the large Drawing Room, created from two rooms. This has Georgian furniture and 18th century portraits.
The Dining Room across the hall has mahogany dado-height panelling and 19th century furniture. The adjacent Admiral's Room was named after Admiral Rowland Mainwaring who fought on HMS Majestic at the Battle of the Nile. The room contains a portrait of the Admiral together with a painting of the famous battle.
An outstanding feature of Whitmore Hall is the early-17th century stables. This extremely rare example of a late Elizabethan stable block has a part cobbled ground floor. The nine original oak-carved stalls are divided by Tuscan pillars with ornamental arches above. The upper floor houses the remains of the stable boys' quarters.
The landscaped gardens contain an early Victorian summer house.
The surrounding home park has a splendid avenue of limes leading to the house and a large lake.