West Wycombe Park was the home of the Dashwood family.
Between 1740 and 1781 the earlier house was transformed by the second Sir Francis Dashwood. Although he was a Fellow of the Royal Society, Postmaster General from 1766 to 1781 and a founder member of the Dilettante Society Sir Francis is still best recalled as a member of the notorious Hell Fire Club.
He travelled extensively and had a wide knowledge of architectural styles. On separate occasions he commissioned Robert Adam and Nicholas Revett to provide designs and various parts of the house as well as the garden buildings are attributable to them.
John Donowell designed the south front and Thomas Cook laid out the grounds in about 1760. Twenty years after Sir Francis Dashwood's death his successors engaged Humphrey Repton to carry out improvements in the grounds.
The exterior of the house is neo-classical with a double colonnade along the south front. There are porticoes at both the east and west sides of the building.
The interior continues the classical theme and is richly decorated.
The hall and staircase are considered to be like a Roman atrium. The Saloon has a painted ceiling depicting the Council of the Gods. In the Blue Drawing Room the painted ceiling shows the Triumph of Bacchus and Ariadne. There are fine marble fireplaces and a staircase of mahogany, walnut and satinwood. The house contain fine tapestries, family portraits and some splendid 18th century furniture.
In 1943 the house and grounds were given to the National Trust who also own most of West Wycombe Village.
In addition, the Trust owns Church Hill which faces West Wycombe Park. On this hill Sir Francis Dashwood built a mausoleum for the members of the Hell Fire Club.
The house is set in one of the best 18th century landscaped parks. There is a lake and several classical temples