Normanby Hall is a classical Regency mansion set in 350 acres of unspoiled parkland.
The rather severe house was built in 1825 - 30 for Sir Robert Sheffield by Robert Smirke, the architect of the British Museum.
The Sheffield family came to Normanby in 1539 and Robert Smythson was engaged to build the first house on the site. This impressive house was replaced by a new building in the 17th century.
However, the Sheffields lived elsewhere for most of the 18th century and the new house was neglected. The house built by Smirke to replace this was a far more imposing building but it was not built on a grand scale.
Sir Robert Sheffield's grandson, a collector of French pictures and furniture, commissioned Walter Brierley of York to design a large extension in 1906 to house his collection. A vast service wing was also constructed but this was later demolished.
The growth of the industrial town of Scunthorpe gradually decreased the attractiveness of Normanby Hall as the family's residence.
In 1963 Sir Berkeley's son moved to Sutton Park near York, where some of the pictures and furniture previously at Normanby Hall can be seen.
The house and grounds are now owned by North Lincolnshire Council and the interiors have been carefully restored to their original character.
The austere facades were constructed of silver-grey Ancaster stone. Subtle recesses and projections and the varying elevations relieve the severe appearance.
The east wing added by Brierley was constructed in 'Edwardian Baroque' style and contrasts greatly with the refined main block.
The interiors of Smirke's building were designed for comfort rather than ostentation. The Hall and Dining Room are at the centre with Drawing Rooms facing south over the garden and a Library to the north.
A Dining Room (not shown to the public) was added in the east wing by Brierley. He also added a screen of Ionic columns in the Entrance Hall which created an Inner Hall.
This leads to the impressive staircase with cast-iron balusters designed by Smirke.
The ground floor rooms are displayed in Regency style, while the upstairs room reflect the changing tastes of the Victorian and Edwardian eras.
Good early-19th century furniture has been introduced into Normanby Hall and there are interesting paintings throughout the house. There is also a display of costumes from the Museum Service's collections.
Normanby Hall is set in 350 acres of beautiful parkland which is now a Country Park.
The restored working Victorian Walled Kitchen Garden provides produce for the 'big house' just it did a century ago.
Organic and Victorian techniques are used to grow Victorian varieties of fruit and vegetables.
Normanby Hall also has a Farming Museum.