The Stonor family have lived at Stonor House for at least 800 years and today it is the home of Lord and Lady Camoys.
The earliest part of the building dates from 12th century but the majority of the house was built in the 14th century. In Tudor times red brick was used to conceal the earlier buildings and produce a uniformed facade.
During the 18th century the windows and roof were remodelled to give the house the Georgian appearance seen today.
The rooms are well-proportioned and show strong 18th century Gothic decoration.
The Long Gallery is hung with Mortlake tapestries and family portraits. The study has a splendid collection of Italian drawings and a pair of Venetian globes.
The dining room has an early 19th century French wallpaper depicting a Parisian scene along the River Seine. Francis Stonor's Bedroom has an unusual shell shaped bed and shell chairs.
Next to the house is the family chapel. This has been used to celebrate Mass continuously since 1349 and was used even during the Reformation. The Stonor family has always been devout and many have entered religious life.
Stonor House was a sanctuary to Father Edmund Campion who lost his life for his faith in 1581. The Edmund Campion Room in the house has an exhibition of his life and work.
The house is set in a beautiful, wooded valley in Chilterns.
There are enclosed south-facing gardens at the rear of the house with fine views over the extensive deer park.
In the grounds is a reconstruction of a pagan stone circle that once stood on the site.
There is an outstanding display of daffodils in springtime and at other times irises and roses.