the holiday and travel guide to the UK
cottages

Featured Wiltshire Historic Houses

Bowood House
5 miles east of Chippenham, off A4 Begun in 1720 by the Bridgeman family and completed by the 2nd Earl of Shelburne after he had bought the house. In 1955 a large part of the house was demolished. Bowood is the permanent home of the Earl of Shelburne.The orangery houses collections of paintings and busts with a sculpture gallery. Here is the laboratory where Joseph Priestley discovered oxygen in 1774. Exhibitions include Georgian costumes and a collection of jewels. 2,000 acres of gardens and grounds by 'Capability' Brown with a formal terraced garden.>> More Information
Corsham Court
In Corsham, 4 miles west of Chippenham, signposted from A4 Bath - Chippenham road Corsham Court has the collection of 16th and 17th century Italian and Flemish Old Master paintings and statuary acquired by Sir Paul Methuen in the 18th century. On his death in 1757, Sir Paul left his paintings to his godson, also Paul Methuen, he had bought Corsham Court 12 years earlier. In 1761 he commissioned 'Capability' Brown to extend the building to provide rooms for the collection and to create a landscape garden. It was also enlarged in the 19th century to house a second art collection. Corsham Court is still owned by family.>> More Information
Great Chalfield Manor
3 miles south-west of Melksham via Broughton Gifford Common Rebuilt between 1465 - 85 on the site of an earlier house by Thomas Tropnell, and constructed around a central courtyard and approached through a defensible gatehouse. The property was acquired by the Fuller family in 1878.The south wing added in 1910 when restoration took place. In 1947 it was presented to the National Trust but the Fuller family live in the house, which is the centre of an estate with farms, cottages, woodland and its own parish church.>> More Information
Hamptworth Lodge
Landford, 9 miles south-east of Salisbury, on A36 Looking like a Jacobean house it was constructed in 1912 for Harold Moffatt who commissioned Guy Dawber to design the house. The interior continues the Arts and Crafts theme and Moffatt made much of the furniture in the Jacobean style. The magnificent Great Hall has an unusual roof construction and an organ gallery with a vast organ. The house has 17th century furniture and a collection of clocks. Gardens.>> More Information
Lacock Abbey
3 miles south of Chippenham, off A350 The four architectural styles combine to give the whole building a fine romantic beauty. The Abbey was founded in 1232 until 1539 when it was converted into a private reside and 1828 further changes were made. William Henry Fox Talbot invented the photographic negative at Lacock Abbey and there is a Museum of Photography in the gatehouse. In 1944 it was given to the National Trust, together with the neighbouring Lacock village.>> More Information
Lacock Village
3 miles south of Chippenham, just east of A350 This unspoilt village stands at the gates of Lacock Abbey, and first became important in the Middle Ages when a planned village was established for the abbey workers. In the 14th-18th centuries the wool trade brought wealth to the village and a weekly market added to its prosperity. On the wool trade's decline it thrived as a staging post until the mid-18th century. Since then the village has stood still, the Talbot family ensuring no development. Four main streets form a square with houses from the 13th to the 19th century. In 1944 the National Trust took over the village.>> More Information
Longleat House
5 miles west of Warminster, off A362 In 1540 John Thynn purchased the ruins of a priory, the 1st Viscount Weymouth built up the estate and created the gardens but this was neglected and ruined by his successor. The 1st Marquess died in debt and his son carried out major improvements to the house over ten years. In the Victorian age the state rooms were remodelled in baroque style. In 1949 Longleat was the first stately home to be opened to the public and in 1966 the safari park opened. There are more attractions today including 'The World's Longest Hedge Maze', Doctor Who exhibition, the Longleat Railway and the Adventure Castle.>> More Information
Lydiard Park
At Lydiard Tregoze, 5 miles west of Swindon, 1.5 miles north of M4 junction 16 Lydiard Park is a neo-Palladian Georgian mansion set in a country park on the outskirts of Swindon. Dating from 1743 when an older house was remodelled by the 2nd Viscount St John. The family owned the house until 1973 when they sold the house and park to Swindon Corporation. It has been fully restored and refurnished. The grounds have lawns and woodland typical of the late 18th century.>> More Information
Mompesson House
In Salisbury, 21 miles north-west of Southampton Set in the peaceful close of Salisbury Cathedral, an example of Queen Ann architecture built in 1701 for Charles Mompesson whose heir, Charles Longueville, carried out improvements. Now in the care of the National Trust it has been furnished as the home of a Georgian gentleman.>> More Information
Newhouse
8 miles south of Salisbury, off A36 A brick Jacobean 'Trinity' house built in 1609, one of only two 'Trinity' houses in Britain. Since 1633 the home of the Eyre family. Georgian interior and a small collection of costumes. A daughter of the family was related to Admiral Nelson and his daughter, by Emma Hamilton, was brought up at Newhouse. In 1986 when George and June Jeffreys inherited Newhouse it was almost derelict but they have restored the house and gardens.>> More Information
Philipps House
In Dinton, 9 miles west of Salisbury, on B3089 Set in the Vale of Wardour it was built between 1814 and 1817 for William Wyndham IV, the family purchased the estate in 1689 and the house was built near the site of an earlier home. Designed by Jeffry Wyatt it is a neo-classical building and he also created the interiors. In 1926 the family sold the estate to Bertram Philipps, who gave the estate to the National Trust in 1943.>> More Information
Stourhead
At Stourton off B3092, 3 miles north of A303 In 1717 Henry Hoare purchased Stourton and demolished the existing house, employing Colen Campbell to build a replacement, one of the first Palladian houses to be built in England. The contents reflect the family over several generations. In 1902 a fire that gutted the central block but was reconstructed. The 6th Baronet gave it to the National Trust in 1947. The house is overshadowed by its garden, with a Temple, grotto, a Gothic cottage and a arboretum.>> More Information
Wilton House
At Wilton, 3 miles west of Salisbury, on A30 Given to Sir William Herbert, by Henry VIII in 1544 and the Herberts, Earls of Pembroke have lived here ever since. The Tudor building was destroyed by a fire in 1647 and the house was rebuilt. State rooms with magnificent painted ceilings, gilded plasterwork and fine furniture. Collection of paintings and statutary.The Exhibition Hall shows the lives of the Earls of Pembroke. 21 acres of parkland, with water gardens, English rose garden and an adventure playground.>> More Information
Somewhere to stay in Wiltshire?
Share This Page

myspace del.icio.us  Digg  reddit facebook
Get Our Newsletter
Offers, short break ideas, event news, and ideas on attractions to visit, all in our newsletter emailed direct to you.