Dudmaston Hall is a late 17th century manor house which takes its name from Hugo de Dudmaston, a knight who was given land here in 1170.
The unpretentious four-square house was designed by the architect Francis Smith of Warwick for Sir Thomas Wolryche. Work began in around 1695 and was largely completed by the time of Sir Thomas's death in 1701.
In the 1820s the Whig M.P. William Wolryche-Whitmore had the house remodelled. The roofline was altered with the addition of pediments and a parapet, and a new staircase and library were built.
In 1978 the house was given to the National Trust.
The small-scale family rooms display of the unusual collection of paintings and sculpture built up by Sir George Labouchere and his wife Rachel Wolryche-Whitemore who inherited the estate in 1966. Lady Labouchere was the last of the Wolryche-Whitmore family whose unbroken line stretches back 850 years.
The family has long been interested in botanical art, and Lady Labouchere's collection includes works by Redoute, Ehret, Reinagle and Fitch. The library displays pieces by these artists,and works by Jan Van Os and Mary Grierson, an official botanical artist at Kew.
Dudmaston also has a display of drawings and photographs by the naturalist Frances Pitt who lived in the area and was a close friend of the Wolryche-Whitemore family.
There are two rooms displaying 20th century painting and sculpture. Works include abstracts by Ben Nicholson, sculpture by Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore and Spanish paintings collected by Sir George during his period as Ambassador in Madrid.
The house also has Chinese porcelain, French furniture and watercolours acquired during the couple's years of diplomatic service.
Lady Labouchere's association with the Darbys of Coalbrokedale, birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, is displayed in another gallery. Dudmaston is also linked with Charles Babbage, the inventor of the first computer, who married a daughter of the house in 1814 and often stayed here.
Outside is landscaped parkland with views over 3,000 acres of farm and woodland.
Terraced lawns with oaks and cedars stretch down from the house to the lake, known as the Big Pool.
Shop, tearoom, walks.