Walcot Hall is a handsome red-brick Georgian house set in the remote countryside of the Welsh borders.
In the 12th century the estate was acquired by the Walcot family. The property remained in their hands until 1763 when the estate was sold to Lord Clive, Governor of Bengal (Clive of India).
In 1764-69 Lord Clive commissioned Sir William Chambers to completely remodel the house and stable block. His son married the heiress of the last Earl of Powis and thus inherited Powis Castle in Wales.
In 1804 the earldom of Powis was revived and the 1st Lord Powis made several additions to Walcot Hall including the ballroom wing. He also improved the grounds, developing 30 acres of arboretum and pools , with mile-long lakes in the front.
Walcot Hall remained as the secondary residence of the family until 1933 when the contents were taken to Powis Castle and the house and grounds were sold to Ronald and Noel Stevens. They established a private zoo and bird sanctuary in the grounds of Walcot Hall (subsequently dispersed).
During the 1930's they commissioned the architect A.T. Butler to demolish part of the early-19th century additions to the house. He also remodelled the interiors in neo-Georgian style and today the house remains much as the Stevens' left it.
In 1957 Walcot Hall was sold to Michael Woodbine Parish and part of the building is used for holiday accomodation.
The layout of the house were determined by the previous house. A long 11-bay entrance front faces east with a 9-bay wing stretching back from the south end. A Tuscan colonnade provides the entrance to the house and leads into a Hall.
The Staircase Hall was created in the 1930's and its wooden staircase is designed in early-18th century style. Although the main reception rooms were remodelled in the 1930's some of Chambers's delicate plaster ceilings and marble chimneypieces still survive.
The free-standing ballroom wing to the west has been restored, it was originally joined to the main house but in the 1930's the connecting block was demolished . Behind the house is the stable courtyard re-designed by Chambers.
The house and landscaped park occupy a splendid site in the Welsh borders.