This moated 16th century mansion was constructed of honey-coloured Ham Hill stone.
Its design combined pure Gothic style with a French Renaissance influence.
The Tudor house was built to an E-plan and the south (originally the entrance) front is remarkably symmetrical. The simple vertical lines of the house lead the eye up past the mullioned windows to the gabled roof where the twisted chimneystacks and finials look like enormous chess pieces.
The builder of Barrington Court is uncertain; it was either Henry, 2nd Lord Daubeney or William Clifton, a prosperous London merchant.
The Daubeney family, who had owned the Somerset estate since at least 1236, were ambitious members of the Tudor court. In 1552 the 2nd Lord sold the property to William Clifton to support his expensive lifestyle at Court.
After Clifton's ownership the house passed through several hands before it was acquired in around 1623 by the Strode family. They lived at Barrington Court for 150 years and in 1670 William Strode built the fine brick stable block that adjoins the house.
During the 19th century Barrington Court changed hands on numerous occasions and it gradually fell into disrepair.
In 1907 the property was purchased by the National Trust, the first sizeable country house to come into its possession. It was not until the house was leased to Colonel A.A. Lyle in 1920 that the building was completely restored and refurbished.
The Tudor house had been stripped of all its original features except two overmantels.
The Colonel filled the house with his collection of interior fittings from contemporary derelict houses.
Barrington Court is now leased to Stuart Interiors and it is used to display their period and reproduction furniture in a series of showrooms.
The house is also open to National Trust visitors.
The stable block dominates the formal garden. This was created in the 20th century to plans by Gertrude Jekyll.
The garden is laid out as a series of 'outdoor rooms' within the brick walls of the Elizabethan cattleyards.
The flower beds in the Lily Garden, Rose Garden, Iris Garden and White Garden still reflect Miss Jekyll's original colour schemes.
In the working kitchen garden there are espaliered apple, pear and plum trees trained along the high brick walls.