Forde Abbey was founded by Cistercian monks almost 900 years ago.
The monks remained at the Abbey until the 16th century when they were forced to leave after Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539.
The building stood empty for a hundred years until it became a family residence.
The medieval building was modified in the 17th century by an owner who attempted to transform it into an Italian palazzo. The exterior changed little but the interiors were panelled and lavishly covered in decorative plasterwork.
They include a Great Hall with an fine oak panelled ceiling, a saloon with elegant furnishings and Mortlake tapestries and a highly decorated grand staircase.
Very little has changed at Ford Abbey since 1700 and it is still a family home.
Here you can enjoy the beauty and tranquility of a past age.
The Abbey is set in some of the most beautiful countryside in Dorset.
The mellow stonework blends in well with the surrounding gardens.
There are 30 acres with five lakes, a bog garden, herbaceous borders, an arboretum, splendid trees and shrubs.