This late-medieval building is probably the grandest priests' house owned by the National Trust.
The oldest part of the house is the solar or great chamber built in the 13th century.
However, the most impressive feature is the later great hall which was completed in 1293. The sizeable two-storey hall has a collar-braced timber roof and five windows of about 1330.
In the 15th century the kitchen and the parlour, a private sitting room, were added. The parlour has two mullioned Perpendicular windows and a splendid fireplace that may be of a rather later date. The house also has an original wall painting.
In the 12th century the church at Martock belonged to the French Monastery of Mont-Saint-Michel but in 1227-8 the church and advowson were acquired by the Treasurer of Wells Cathedral, who became both rector and patron of Martock. This arrangement continued until 1840.
The above average accommodation at the Treasurer's occasional country residence in Martock was in keeping with the status of a high official of the Church.
The house later became a vicarage and it remained as such until the middle of the 19th century when it passed into private hands.
The Treasurer's House is remarkable because few small houses retain so many medieval features or have been so sensitively restored. The building has been refurbished by the National Trust.