The Holbech family acquired the Farnborough estate in 1684 and the honey-coloured two-storey stone house has was built soon after.
The only changes to the property occurred between 1745 and 1750 when the entrance front was remodelled and the interior received its lively rococo plasterwork.
This work was carried out by William Holbech who wanted a suitable setting for the sculpture and art he had brought back from his Grand Tour. He almost certainly used designs by his close friend Sanderson Miller, a talented architect, who lived only a few miles away.
Long Palladian facades with sash windows, pedimented doorways and a balustrated roofline were added to the earlier classical west front.
Unlike many contemporary properties, Farnborough Hall and its landscaped gardens have experienced little alteration in the last 200 years and they remain today largely as William Holbech left them.
The entrance front opens straight into the Italianate hall.
Here the walls are adorned with busts of Roman emperors set in oval niches and the magnificent panelled ceiling is stuccoed with rococo motifs.
The sunny dining room on the south front was especially designed to display works by Canelletto and Panini. Although only copies of these works now fill the frames, the original scheme remains unchanged.
The drawing room has panels of elaborate stuccowork with scrolls, shells, fruit and flowers introduced as a framework for more Italian works of art. A stucco garland of fruit and flowers rings the skylight above the staircase hall.
Farnborough Hall stands at the extremity of one of the Warwickshire 'edges'.
In the mid-18th century the spectacular setting was tamed and adorned by Sanderson Miller to dramatic effect.
At the front of the Hall the land beyond the lawn falls away to a sinuous lake in the valley below. To the left of the house the lawn gradually rises to follow the lip of the 'edge' for three quarters of a mile. This grassy Terrace Walk is flanked by trees and is one of the most impressive pieces of landscaping in the country.
The terrace leads past an Ionic temple and an oval pavilion, which has two storeys and rich plasterwork, to an oberlisk at the end of the 'edge'.
From the grounds there are magnificent views across the Warwickshire plain towards Edgehill, Stratford and the Malvern Hills.