The first building at Packwood was a modest timber-framed farmhouse constructed for John Fetherston between 1556 - 1560.
This building with its pointed gables, mullioned windows and massive chimneystacks now forms the main part of the Packwood House, although its timbers have been rendered over.
During the Civil War the Fetherstons were careful in their allegiances.
In 1642 Parliamentarian general Henry Ireton slept at Packwood House the night before the Battle of Edgehill. However, there is also a family tradition that Charles II was provided with food and drink here after his defeat at Worcester in 1651.
In 1670 the lawyer grandson of the original owner, also John Fetherston, made extensions to the house to provide stables and outbuildings. This work can be identified by the plum-coloured Staffordshire brick that was used.
In the late 19th century Packwood was sold by the last of the Fetherstons and in 1903 the house was bought by the wealthy industrialist Alfred Ash.
His son, Graham Baron Ash, used his father's fortune to restore the house in the 1920s and 1930s. Georgian and Victorian alterations were carefully removed and he added the long gallery and transformed an existing barn into a magnificent Tudor great hall.
Ash used beams, chimneypieces and floors rescued from other houses to create both rooms. He also filled the house with period furnishings including Jacobean panellng and Brussels tapestries.
Many pieces of furniture at Packwood House were purchased from neighbouring Baddesley Clinton when the fortunes of the staunchly Catholic Ferrers family fell particularly low. These include the long oak refectory table and Charles II oak cupboard inlaid with mother of pearl found in the dining room.
Packwood's greatest glory is its garden.
Across the sunken lawn garden is the famous Yew Garden. This was laid out in the 17th century by the John Fetherson, the lawyer.
The smooth grass is dotted with clipped yews that are supposed to represent 'The Sermon on the Mount'.
Twelve great yews are known as the 'Apostles' and the four big specimens in the middle are 'The Evangelists'.
A tight spiral path lined with box climbs a hummock named 'The Mount'. The single yew that crowns the summit is known as 'The Master'. The smaller yew trees are called 'The Multitude' and were planted in the 19th century to replace an orchard.
The 113 acres of gardens also have renowned herbaceous borders and woodland.