Markenfield Hall is a fine example of a medieval country gentleman's house. The moated manor house was begun by Sir John Markenfield who obtained permission to crenellate in 1310 and the work was probably completed by his son, Thomas.
In 1569 the family estates were confiscated after the Rising of the North and the property was eventually acquired by Fletcher Norton, a lawyer and politician. He was created Lord Grantley of Markenfield in 1782 and today the house is still in the hands of his descendants.
As the manor house was not the main residence of most of its owners from the 16th century onwards the 14th century buildings have survived remarkably intact.
The manor house is approached through farm buildings which date from the 18th century and across the moat.
A 16th century gatehouse gives access to the irregular courtyard. The L-shaped main block, constructed of limestone, stands on the north side of the courtyard.
The main rooms of the manor house are situated on the upper floor.
The Hall, originally reached by an external staircase (later demolished), has large windows with Gothic tracery. This houses the library and archive.
The chapel is situated in the cross-wing and has a notable traceried east window and picscina. To the north is the medieval solar or great chamber. From the chapel an original spiral staircase leads up to the roof