Sutton Park is a fine early-Georgian house set in beautiful gardens and parkland.
The house stands on the edge of the village of Sutton which grew up in the Middle Ages to the north of York, in the ancient forest of Galtres.
By the mid-18th century the manor had passed from the Crown to the Harland family and, after inheriting the property in 1750, Philip Harland demolished the original building and replaced it with the present house.
This was completed before his death in 1764 and was probably designed by the architect Thomas Atkinson of York.
The design of the charming Palladian house was clearly influenced by the fashionable architect James Paine who had a large country house practice in the north of England.
Although there were some alterations to the interior at the end of the 18th century, the house remained relatively unaltered until the 20th century.
The property passed through a series of complicated female inheritances until it was sold in 1926 and again in 1944.
In 1963 Sutton Park was purchased by the Sheffields and members of the family still live there today.
They introduced furniture, chimneypieces and paintings from Normanby Park in Humberside, the Sheffield family's old country seat.
Some of these pieces were originally in Buckingham House, the family's London town house, built in the early-18th century on the site of the present Buckingham Palace by John Sheffield, Duke of Buckingham.
Sutton Park is a well-proportioned red-brick house with little ornamentation.
It was designed in the style of a villa and the five-bay central block is set under a vast pediment and flanked by lower pavilions.
These pavilions, which may have been an after thought, have Venetian windows on the garden side and are joined to the main building by colonnades which were filled in.
Although the exterior of the house is plain the interior is decorated in a richer style.
This grand effect is created by the Rococo plasterwork of Guiseppe Cortese and further embellishment in recent years.
Sutton Park has a splendid collection of 18th century furniture, paintings, porcelain, needlework and beadwork, all combined with great style.
The Entrance Hall contains some of the finest plasterwork in the house and displays an early drawing of Buckingham House.
The main reception rooms face south over the garden and contain English, French, Dutch furniture and fine porcelain from the Meissen, Chelsea, Bow and Worcester factories, together with early blanc de Chine and Japanese 'Imari' pieces. The walls are hung with a collection of family portraits which date back to the 16th century.
The Library has a plasterwork ceiling with fruit motifs and the chimneypiece and bookcases were introduced from Normanby Park.
In the Morning Room is early-18th century wood panelling brought Potternewton Hall near Leeds by the previous owner.
Some of the finest porcelain is displayed in the Tea Room, and in the Porcelain Room and the Boudoir contain are paintings of 18th century London by Samuel Scott, the 'English Canaletto'. There is a Chinese Room which has hand-painted wallpaper date 1750 - 70.
The delicately carved main staircase leads up to the first floor with a plasterwork ceiling is by Cortese and portraits on the walls, including works by Kneller and Wissing.
On the first floor several bedrooms have a view over the park.
A secondary staircase descends to the neo-Georgian Dining Room which was created by the Sheffield family to the designs of Francis Johnson. The paintings here include a view of Normanby Park by Felix Kelly.
The Sheffield family, and their predecessors, were responsible for creating the terraced gardens that overlook the flat parkland to the south of the house.
The award winning gardens add greatly to the visual appeal of the property