Also known as the Victoria Bridge,
this was the first railway bridge to span the Thames into
The bridge was built to the design
of John Fowler for the London, Brighton & South Coast
Railway (LB & SCR). Fowler was instructed to build
a bridge with piers conforming to neighbouring Chelsea Bridge,
just 150 yards upstream.
Work began on 9 June 1859 and
the the first train passed over the Grosvenor Railway Bridge
exactly a year later.
The bridge allowed the LB&SCR
to extend its operations into the West End at Victoria Station
but the company also leased out the track and station to several
other companies. Even the broad-gauge GWR was able to
run trains into Victoria Station.
The London Chatham and Dover
Railway (LCDR) later worked with the LB & SCR to construct
a second bridge in order to lay more tracks. The new,
100 ft wide bridge, designed by Sir Charles Fox to match the
existing bridge, was opened in 1866.
By the turn of the 20th century
the bridges became insufficient to meet the needs of the railway
and a third bridge was constructed downstream in 1907 to increase
the width to 178 ft and bringing the number of tracks up to
The whole bridge was replaced
piecemeal by Freeman, Fox & Partners between 1963 - 67.
In effect the engineers built ten separate bridges,
each bearing one line of track, and brought the complete structure
up to date.
Victoria Station remains one
of the busiest terminals in London and as a result the Grosvenor
Bridge is one of the few railway bridges in the capital that
has escaped rationalisation.