A railway was built to the north
end of the present bridge in 1880. Passengers alighting
at the station there could make their way along a footway
to a new low-water pier, where there were connections to pleasure
In 1886 an Act of Parliament
authorised the London & South Western Railway (L&SWR)
to start building a railway line connecting Putney Bridge
Station with Wimbledon.
Designed by W H Thomas and William
Jacomb , the wrought-iron bridge is an eight-span girder structure.
It was never given a name but soon became known as the 'Iron
Bridge' by the locals.
The first trains to cross the
Thames on the Wimbledon and Putney branch ran on 3 June 1889.
A footway on the downstream side,
with an ornamental cast-iron parapet, was opened the following
The bridge now forms part of
the District Line service from Wimbledon via Earl's Court
to Edgeware Road and Upminster.