In 1846 Richmond Company built
a six mile line to Clapham Junction to connect Richmond with
Waterloo. However, the real objective was Windsor,
and in 1847 an Act of Incorporation empowered the Windsor,
Staines and South-Western Railway Company to extend the line
to Windsor, via Staines and Datchet.
The line crosses the Thames lies
less than a quarter of a mile from Richmond station.
The new bridge, originally called the Richmond, Windsor and
Staines Railway Bridge, was designed by the engineer Joseph
The three 100 foot spans were
formed of six cast-iron ribs bolted together in sections.
On the Surrey side the line was carried across Richmond Old
Deer Park by a viaduct of seven brick arches.
Lock's cast-iron beam structure
was opened in 1848 but was in use for less than 60 years.
In 1891 a cast-iron railway bridge near Norbury Junction,
collapsed causing considerable concern over Richmond Railway
In 1906 the L&SWR authorised
the Horseley Bridge Company to replace the original bridge.
Designed by the chief engineer of the L&SWR, J.W.
Jacomb-Hood, the bridge used part of the old piers and abutments
but with new decking and superstructure.
The new bridge, completed in
1908, is in effect two separate steel-arched bridges, each
carrying one line of track.
In 1984 the main bridge girders
and decking were replaced.