Teddington Lock, on the western
outskirts of London, is the end of the tidal reach of the
An obelisk 265 yards below the
Lock marks the boundary of the jurisdiction of the Port of
London Authority and the Environment Agency.
Before Teddington Lock was constructed
in 1811 the river was tidal as far as Kingston. The
pound lock was an early attempt to control the high tides,
which in the 19th century were around ten feet above the level
in Roman times. Today the tide flows up to Teddington
but the half tide lock at Richmond prevents too strong a current
and keeps the river level.
In 1888 - 89 a footbridge, built
to the designs of G. Pooley replaced the ferry at Teddington.
Two footbridges of different designs meet on the island at
Teddington. The bridge spanning the river from the Middlesex
bank to the island is a suspension bridge, while the shorter
structure crossing from the Surrey bank has a girder design.