Although authorised in 1864,
the bridge was finally built in 1873. Designed by Julian
Tolmne, the wrought-iron structure was of the lattice girder
type, with a timber roadway.
When it opened a toll was charged
but this was abolished in 1880. By this time the bridge
had been purchased by the Metropolitan Board of Works.
The new owners decided that the bridge should be replaced.
In 1935 London County Council (LCC) finally gave their consent
for a new bridge. A temporary bridge, used during the
widening of Chelsea Bridge, was erected alongside the old
Designed by Sir Peirson Frank,
the new bridge has a 200 ft central span, consisting of seven
high-tensile steel girders. After some delay the new bridge
opened in 1940.