The original Savoy Chapel was
part of John of Gaunt's Savoy Palace, burnt down during the
Peasants' Revolt of 1381.
The present building was founded
in the 16th century as the chapel of the hospital established
on the site of the old Savoy Palace. Although parts
of the outer wall date from 1502, most of the building dates
from the mid-19th century.
In 1890 the Savoy Chapel was
the first church in London to be lit by electricity.
At that time the church a fashionable venue for society weddings.
In 1936 it became the chapel
of the Royal Victorian Order and today is a private chapel
of the Queen.