Botolph Aldergate, completed in 1791, has a late-Georgian
exterior. But this
conceals an interior with a decorated plaster ceiling, rich
brown wooden galleries and organ case, and an oak pulpit rising
above a carved palm tree. The box pews have been retained
in the galleries.
Some of the memorials at St Botolph's
date from the 14th century church that once stood on the site.
1880, the churchyard beside St Botolph's Aldersgate was converted
into an tranquil open space, known as Postman's Park because
it was popular with the workers of the nearby Post Office
The Victorian artist George Frederick
Watts later dedicated one of the walls to an unusual collection
of plaques commemorating acts of bravery and self sacrifice
by members of the public. Some of these plaques can
still be seen.
In 1973 a bronze minotaur, created
by the sculptor Michael Ayrton, was installed here.