St Giles, built in 1550, stands
on the site of a Norman church. The well-preserved remains
of London's Roman and medieval walls can be seen to the south
of the building.
In 1620 Oliver Cromwell married
Elizabeth Bourchier at St Giles and the poet John Milton was
buried here in 1674.
The church was one of the few
buildings to survive the Great Fire of London in 1666 but
only its tower survived the Blitz.
In the 1950s St Giles was refurbished
to serve as the parish church of the newly-built Barbican
development. Today, the heavily restored 16th century
church is the only historic building to be seen in this area
dominated by modern architecture.