This red-brick mansion is the
oldest house in East London, one of the capital's few Tudor
merchants' houses to have survived in its original form.
The house was built in 1535 for
Sir Rafe Sadleir, Henry VIII's first secretary of state.
It passed through several wealthy
families before becoming a girls' school in the 17th century.
In the 18th century alterations were made to the front of
the house and additions were made at a later date. However,
the Tudor fabric remains, with original brickwork, linenfold
panelling and large fireplaces.
Recent restoration has revealed
16th century details, even in rooms of later periods.
Highlights include the medieval
foundations in the cellar, Tudor, Jacobean and Georgian interiors,
17th century wall paintings and an Edwardian chapel.
Its 16th century garderobe maybe
the oldest lavatory in London!
Today Sutton House is owned by
the National Trust.
Cafe and shop.