of London's few extensive pedestrianised public spaces and
with the best street entertainers in the capital, is a huge
When the famous
wholesale fruit and vegetable market moved to Battersea in
1974, the covered central market, designed by Charles Fowler
and completed in 1830, with its fine glass and iron roof,
provided a shell for a range of small shops, stalls and cafes.
These offer a range
of British arts and crafts including jewellery, decorative
items, designer clothes and books.
On Mondays the stalls
are given over to antiques and collectables.
Stalls have also
overflowed across Covent Garden Piazza into the Jubilee Hall
(built in 1903). The separately run Jubilee Market concentrates
on jewellery, antiques and collectables on Mondays, a large
selection of clothes, handbags, cosmetics and souvenirs during
the week and crafts at the weekend.