Leadenhall Market, which stands on the site of a Roman forum, has been a food market since the Middle Ages. The market gets its name from a lead-roofed mansion that stood near here in the 14th century. At that time 'foreigners', being anyone from outside London, were given permission to sell poultry, and later cheese and butter, on the site.
The present arcaded building, with its ironwork facade, was designed in 1881 by Sir Horace Jones, the architect of Billingsgate and Smithfield Markets.
Toay Leadenhall Market is full of shops, bars, and places to eat and a good place for a stroll around, especially at lunchtime when the market is at its most lively.
This ornate City market, painted green, maroon and cream, is at its best at Christmas time when all the stalls have festive decorations.