The Royal Mews are at the side of Buckingham Palace near Buckingham Gate.
The royal stables were established on this site by George III in 1762, and in 1825 George IV commissioned John Nash to redesign the Royal Mews to accommodate the horses and coaches used on state occasions.
The entrance is through the riding school to the oldest part of the mews, and the horses are exercised every day. The stables can hold up to 30 horses, usually named by her Majesty.
When not used for state occasions the horses, Windsor greys and Cleveland bays, are moved to Windsor to 'holiday'. Above the stables are the living quarters of the grooms and chauffeurs.
The state coaches are the highlight of the Royal Mews, with the ornate Gold State Coach, built 761 and the earliest royal carriage in existence. This coach was commissioned by George III for his wedding and coronation but he was married and crowned before the coach was completed. It takes eight horses to pull the Gold State Coach, and is so heavy it can only be pulled at walking pace.
Every coach and landaus has its own function. The Irish State Coach was purchased by Queen Victoria, and used for the State Opening of Parliament. The 1910 Glass Coach s nearly always used for royal weddings, including the Queen's marriage to Prince Philip in 1947, and the wedding of Lady Diana Spencer and Prince Charles in 1981.
A room beyond the stables is has the harnesses and liveried uniforms displayed in glass cases.
Opening times and displays may change at short notice. The Royal Mews are closed during Royal Ascot week in June, and on state occasions.