set on one of the city's earliest quays, was the site of London's
main fish market for 900 years.
At its peak in the 19th-20th
centuries, 400 tonnes of fish were sold here every day, much
delivered by boat. Billingsgate was renowned at London's
noisiest market and even in Shakespeare's day it was notorious
for its bad language.
However, Billingsgate no longer
sells fish - the market moved to a new, larger site on the
Isle of Dogs in 1982.
The beautiful Grade II-listed
building, designed by Horace Jones in 1877, was refurbished
in 1986 for office space, to plans by architect Sir Richard
Rogers. The splendid golden fish crowning the building
is a weather vane.