Bridge is the capital's oldest railway terminus.
London's first railway, the London
and Greenwich (L&G) opened in 1836 and ran over brick
arches from Depford to its station in Bermondsey. After
the line was extended to Greenwich a new station was opened
at the foot of London Bridge on the South bank of the Thames.
Shortly after the opening of
London Bridge Station, the South Eastern Railway (SER) and
the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LBSC) lines
all converged on London Bridge over high brick viaducts. The
rival railways became paying tenants, the station becoming
two stations in one.
In 1851 the SER
built a frontage of brick faced with stucco designed by Samuel
Beazley, while the
LBSC, whose headquarters were at London Bridge, constructed
a station with a cast-iron roof. Dating from 1866,
the LBSC's building forms most of the current station.
The approaches to the station were widened in 1866 and in
When the rival lines were grouped
in 1923, and renamed the Southern Railway, an
entrance was made between the
stations. Little remains of the splendor of London Bridge
as most of the original buildings were
bombed during World War
II. In 1978
a major development at London Bridge was completed.