Station, serving the southern
commuter belt, Kent and the south coast, is one of London's
largest and busiest stations.
Victorian was originally two
separate stations. In 1858 the Victoria Station and
Pimlico Railway extended its lines from South London, across
the Thames to a terminus in central London. The new
building was just a short walk from Buckingham Palace. The
Italianate architecture was designed to blend in with the
grandeur of the surrounding district. The
station was used by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway,
with the Great Western Railway also operating some services
into the station.
The Grosvenor Hotel, bordering
Buckingham Palace Road, was built beside the station in 1860
- 01, designed by James T Knowles, one of the earliest railway
In 1862 the London, Chatham and
Dover Railway built its terminus next door. The original entrance
was round the side to the east of the buildings.
Although standing side by side,
the two stations operated completely independently.
In 1898 the London, Brighton
and South Coast Railway demolished its old station and built
a Renaissance-style building. Not to be outdone, in 1906 -
08 the South Eastern and Chatham Railway commissioned Alfred
Blomfield to design and build a Baroque-style terminus in
When the stations merged in 1924
a small access was made between the two buildings and was
the only connection until Victoria's redevelopment in the
1980's. Victoria Station has always retained its two
distinct internal areas.