Built in 1828, Cumberland Terrace
is the longest and most elaborate of John Nash's terraces
around Regent's Park.
The magnificent central section,
with raised Ionic columns, is surmounted by a decorated triangular
pediment, rather reminiscent of Wedgewood pottery.
This Classical-style building was designed to be visible from
a grand palace Nash had planned for the Prince Regent, later
George IV, in Regent's
The architect's idea was to establish
56 villas in various Classical styles along with the pleasure
palace for the Prince Regent.
However, the Prince Regent became
too busy with his plans for Buckingham
Palace and in the end only eight villas, and no
palace, were constructed inside the park.