market town of Midsomer Norton, near to its "twin"
,Radstock, is in the Midsomer Valleys,set on the River Somer,
and was originally called Midsummer Norton. This curious
name came about because of frequent flooding that meant the
settlement was inaccessible in all other seasons.
early 20th century the town's name was changed to Midsomer
Norton to reflect its location on the River Somer.
Norton dates to medieval times and has retained its old fashioned
character, with the River Somer running down the centre of
the High Street.
oldest building, a 15th century tithe barn, is now the Catholic
Church of the Holy Ghost. Transformed by Sir Giles Gilbert
Scott ( the architect of Battersea Power Station), the ancient
building was blessed as a church in 1917.