derives its name from the River Tame which flows through the
town, as does the River Anker.
historic market town was founded by the Saxons but was sacked
by the Danes in the 9th century. Aethelflaeda defeated the
Danes and built a castle here to defend the settlement in
11th century the Normans built a new castle on the site, a
sandstone fortress, overlooking the confluence of the rivers
Anker and Tame, and it still dominates the centre of the town.
17th century Tamworth was one of the most populous towns in
the west midlands. The town flourished by controlling two
packhorse bridges over the Tame and the Anker on the important
route from London to Chester.
the Industrial Revolution of the 18th and 19th centuries,
it developed rapidly with the coal industryand became a hub
of the canal network when the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal
and the Coventry Canal were constructed through the town.
links improved when the Midland Railway and the London and
North Western Railway were opened in the mid-19th century.
1830 to 1850 the Victorian Prime Minister, Sir Robert Peel,
served as Tamworth's MP.
Tamworth became the home of the Reliant Motor Company. The
famous 'Reliant Robin' was produced here from 1973
until 1998, when the factory closed and was relocated to a
purpose-built factory in Burntwood, Cannock.
World War II the town has grown rapidly by absorbing the overspill
from the West Midlands conurbation to the south-west.
Tamworth Castle is one of the best preserved Norman motte-and-bailey
castles in the UK.
great family visitor attraction is the SnowDome.
The UK's premier snow centrewith a 170m slope, covered with
real snow all year round and the world's first indoor Snowmobile
to Tamworth are some historic homes you can visit.
Drayton Manor Park, two miles from the town centre, is an award-winning
theme park set in 280 acres of parkland and offers excitment
for everyone including 'white-knuckle' rides, family fun and
lots of attractions for childrenincluding a zoo with a Discovery
Centre to experience nature and conservation.
Middleton Hall, a delightful country house on the border with Warwickshire,
that dates back to 1285 with additions dating from the 15th,
16th and early 19th centuries. The best preserved parts of
the restored house are the Georgian west wing and the 16th
century Great Hall. Middleton Hall is the former home of the
Tudor explorer Sir Hugh Willughby and in the 17th century
was the home of two important naturalists: Francis Willughby,
founder member of the Royal Society and John Ray, one of Britain's
greatest naturalists. 40 acres of grounds include walled
gardens, woodlands and a large man-made lak - a haven for
birds - the area around it has been designated a Site of Scientific
is the Ash
End House Children's Farm. with lots for animals to feed
and pet, mostly under cover.
attractions in nearby Warwickshire include Twycross
Zoo and the West
Midlands Waterski Centre.