lies to the north of Surrey , 17 miles west of London.
town is an ancient settlement. When the Romans invaded Britain
in AD 43 they settled at Staines and the first Staines Bridge
was built shortly afterwards. In Roman times the settlement
was known as 'Ad Pontes' meaning 'at the Bridges'.
stood in a strategic position beside the Thames, on the main
road west and close to Windsor, and it was here that the barons
assembled before Magna Carta was sealed at Runnymeade in 1215.
World War II Staines was the English base of the French war
resistance and the council offices have many artifacts on
display relating to the resistance on semi-permanent display.
the river stand the Memorial Gardens, with marvellous views
of the Thames and an interesting array of water features and
elegant stone bridge dates from 1832.
trips , popular with tourists and locals, connect Staines
with Windsor, Runnymeade and Hampton Court, with stops at
Shepperton and Sunbury.
times Staines was famous for the production of Linoleum (a
type of floor covering). Its inventor, Frederick Walton,
established a factory at Staines in 1864 and this continued
to be the area's major employer until the factory closed in
around 1970. The Linoleum industry is commemorated by a bronze
statue of two workers, carrying a roll of Linoleum, which
stands in Staines High Street.
the Two Rivers shopping centre stands on the site of the factory.
Museum in Staines, devoted to history of the Borough,
includes archeaological finds from the Roman era and an exhibition
illustrating the history of the Linoleum Manufacturing Company.