The Assembly Rooms, originally known as the Upper Rooms, were designed by John Wood the younger and opened in 1771. They were the third set of such rooms to be built in Bath.
The Assembly Rooms were a place where the company could dance, play cards and drink tea.
When work began on the rooms in 1769, Queen Square and the Circus designed by John Wood the elder had been completed and work had begun on the terraces and streets that would culminate with John Wood the younger’s magnificent Royal Cresent.The impressive Bath stone Assembly Rooms are set across a wide pavement.
They dominate their surroundings with two classical facades either side of the central pedimented entrance.
The rather austere exterior gives no idea of the sumptuous decoration within.
The ballroom is a 100 feet long and the largest 18th century room in Bath. It could hold 800 – 1,200 people on ball nights.
This classical room, rising to a coved ceiling at the height of the building, is lit by windows on the second-floor level only. The Corinthian columns flanking the windows are picked out in white against the blue walls. Five great candle-lit chandeliers illuminated the room.
The tearoom with a double screen of columns at one end is also spectactular.
The original suite of rooms was completed by the octagon or card playing room, where an organ provided entertainment on Sundays when card playing was prohibited.
However, in 1777 another card room was built to cope with the vast number of people who congregated there.
The bath was transformed from a provincial watering-place to an international resort in the 18th century under the influence of Beau Nash. Read More
Bath Assembly Rooms Opening Times
2009: Daily Feb:10:30-17:00 ; Mar-Oct:10:30-18:00 ; Nov-Jan: 10:30-17:00. Last entry 60mins before close. Closed when functions and 25/26 Dec. Some rooms may be closed when there are functions. Access guaranteed Aug – tel to check other months.
Tel: 01225 477173
Visit the Bath Assembly Rooms Website